Welcome to our 2014-15 Social Science blog for 2nd year of ESO at IES Condesa Eylo Alfonso (Valladolid). Here we are going to find information and materials for our course.
Aquí tenéis el programa y los criterios de evaluación y calificación de nuestra materia:
Most important contents for the first unit:
- Draw a timeline about World History.
- Describe the invasions and the fall of Rome.
- Describe post-Roman society (germanic Kingdoms)
- Explain briefly the Germanic peoples and the Roman populations.
- Explain briefly society and economy in the kingdom of the Visigoths.
- Describe briefly the Byzantine society.
- Describe briefly the five pilars of Islam.
- Describe briefly the origins of Islam.
- Explain widely the spread of Islam.
- Describe widely islamic art.
- Describe widely islamic society.
- Explain widely the Visigoth Kingdom of Toledo.
- Explain widely the Byzantine Empire.
- Define: basileus, caliph, hegira, slave, pilgrimage, mosque, quibla, qadis, Muhammad, Justinian, Attila, barbarians.
- Compare the estamental society that we have explained in class and the class society that we are living in now.
A very interesting video, just in case you want to improve in this subject and, of course, your English will get better. The History of the World in only two hours by the BBC:
A couple of videos about medieval art (Romanic and Gothic):
Most important contents for second unit
- Describe briely the second wave of invasions.
- Describe the weakness of royal authority in the Early Middle Ages.
- Describe briefly the estate of the nobility (estamental society).
- Describe briefly Romanesque painting.
- Describe briefly Romanesque sculpture.
- Make a summary about the economic growth in the High Middle Ages.
- Define: Feudalism, crusade, serf, regular clergy, fallow, bills of exchange, dome, barrel vault, buttresses, round arches, apse, transept, tympanum, free-standing scuñpture, city charter.
- Describe briefly the urban society of the High Middle Ages.
- What was the Carolingian Empire? Describe it briefly emphasizing the most important emperors and their achivements.
- Explain widely Feudalism.
- Explain the key role of the Church in the Middle Ages.
- Explain widely the Romanesque style (architecture, sculpture and painting).
- Describe briefly but clearly the estamental society of the Middle Ages.
- Describe the banking business of the High Middle Ages.
Most important contents for third unit
- Describe briely the guilds.
- What was the 12th Renaissance? Explain ir briefly.
- Explain briefly the first parliaments of the Late Middle Ages.
- Describe briefly social tensions in the Late Middle Ages.
- Describe briefly the crisis of the Late Middle Ages.
- Describe briefly the Black Death.
- Describe briefly the social structure of Al-Andalus (a diverse society).
- Describe briefly Gothic architecture.
- Describe briefly tha Caliphate of Cordoba.
- BIG QUESTIONS:
- Explain widely the Gothic.
- Explain widely the history of Al-Andalus (from que conquest until the fall of Granada in 1492).
- Define: berber, arab, muladis, mozarabs, parias, taifas, guild, Journeymen, masters.
PowerPoint presentations on Art History:
Most important points next exam:
- Describe briefly the economy of Al-Andalus.
- Summarise briefly the main features of Andalusi architecture.
- Summarise briefly cultural achivements and legacy of Al-Andalus.
- Describe briefly the kingdom of Asturias.
- Descibe briefly the counties and kingdoms of the Pyrenees.
- Who was Fernán González? What role did he play in the development of Castile?
- Explain widely the Reconquest and settlement of the Christian Kingdoms.
- Explain widely the Crown of Castile.
- Explain widely the Crown of Aragón.
- Describe briefly the economy in Castile.
- Describe briefly the expansion of the Crown of Aragón across the Mediterranean sea.
- What were the causes and consequences of the crisis in the Late Middle Ages in Castile and Aragón?
- What were the main features of the Gothic architecture in Castile and Aragón? Give examples.
- Explain briefly the Age of Discovery. What territories did Europeans know in the 15th century? Which continents did they not know?
- Describe briefly the Portuguese expeditions from the early 15th century.
- Define: compass, quadrant, mariner’s astrolabe, portolan chart, Mesta, Justicia of Aragón, transhumance, charters, land distribution, repopulation, Navas de Tolosa, Sancho III, Pelayo, Battle of Covadonga, medina, alcázar, souks, hammams.
Our presentation about Renaissance:
Most important contents for next exam:
Describe briefly the first voyage around the world.
Describe banking and finance in the 16 th century.
Who were the Pre-Columbian peoples? Why did they receive that adjetive?
Describe European economy in 15 th and 16 th centuries.
New science XVI th century.
Quattrocento (architecture, sculpture and painting).
Cinquecento (aechitecture, sculpture and painting).
Definitions: patrons, cheques, bills of exchange, humanism, theocentric theory, anthropocentric theory, trading companies, Mayas, Incas, Thomas More, Erasmus of Rotterdam, Copernicus, Vesalius, Elcano, Medici, chiaroscuro.
Explain widely European society of the 15th century. What aspects of society were the same as in the Middle Ages? What changed?
Explain widely the Aztecs (settlement, politics, society, economy, religion…)
Explain widely Humanism.
Most important contents last unit:
Describe briefly El Greco’s painting and his most important works.
Describe briefly the financial problems of the Empire in times of Carlos I and Felipe II.
Define: Lutheran Reformation, Calvinism, Anglicanism, Society of Jesus, authoritarian monarchies, Santa Hermandad, Comuneros, Council of the Indies, Casa de Contratación, encomienda, mita, the price revolution, trade monopoly, viceroy.
How did the Spaniards organise their labour force in America? Describe the mita and the encomienda.
Describe the conquest of Mexico.
Describe the conquest of Peru.
Explain the Dutch Revolt of 1568.
Explain the political organisation of the Empire.
Explain the spanish society of the Empire.
Explain the spanish society organised in America in the XVIth century.
Explain widely the Reformation (crisis of the church, Lutheran Reformation, Calvinism, Anglicanism).
Explain widely the Counter Reformation.
Explain widely the Catholic Monarchs.
Explain widely the begginnings of the Spanish Empire.
Explain widely Spanish foreign policy in times of Carlos I and Felipe II.
Describe briefly Lutheran Reformation.
Describe briefly Comuneros’ Revolution.
Describe briefly Anglicanism.
ALL THOSE IMPORTANT HISTORICAL DATES EXPLAINED IN CLASS (Saint Quentin, Villalar, etc…).
Próximamente pondremos un cuadernillo de actividades para preparar el examen de Historia: